Guide To Supporting Patients Accessing Specialist Gender Identity Services
Specialist Gender Identity Services (SGIS) are specialist clinics that provide services to people who are experiencing concerns or problems with their gender and who need access to expert clinical care. There are seven clinics for adults in England and one for children and young people (see the table below for details). They are consultant-led and generally staffed by psychiatrists, psychologists, endocrinologists, speech and language therapists and support staff. Services offered vary significantly but will usually focus upon core activities of:
- Psychological, clinical and diagnostic assessment
- Endocrinology assessment and hormone treatment (or referral for this)
- Referral for surgical procedures
- Some direct service provision (or referrals) such as speech and language therapy, electrolysis and limited mental health support.
Treatment at a SGIS may include aspects of the following. However, not all patients will require all elements described below.
- Assessment by two independent qualified clinicians to determine whether a diagnosis of gender dysphoria is appropriate (see Section 4.2)
- Allocation to a lead clinician (usually a psychiatrist or a psychologist) for care planning and management
- Assessment by an endocrinologist and recommendation for cross-sex hormone therapy where indicated – to be co-managed with the GP
- Assessment for surgical procedures and referral to specialist surgeons where indicated
- Referral to speech and language and electrolysis specialists where indicated.
Lead clinicians have on-going consultations with the patient during their care and liaise with the GP, surgeons and other specialists. They may also be involved in writing reports as needed for purposes of identity document change etc.
See the care pathway flowchart below for further details. A copy of this flowchart can be downloaded from the table below.
You can download a template referral form for adults and children/young people from the table below.
Introduction Guide Home Page
Section 1.0 About This Guide
Section 1.1 Why This Guide Is Needed
Section 1.2 Current Context
Section 2.0 Developing Understanding About Trans People
Section 2.1 New Thinking About Gender
Section 2.2 About Trans Identities
Section 2.3 About Gender Pronouns
Section 3.0 High Quality Services for Trans People
Section 3.1 Getting It Right
Section 3.2 A Special Note on Children and Young People
Section 3.3 A Special Note on Screening: Screen for the Organs Present
Section 4.0 Understanding the Patient Groups
Section 4.1 Understanding Specialist Gender Identity Services
Section 4.2 The Approach to Treatment
Section 4.3 Treatment Protocols
Section 4.4 Available Treatments - Adults
Section 4.5 Available Treatments - Children and Young People
Section 4.6 The Role of the GP
Section 5.0 Changing NHS Records
Section 5.1 Information Sharing - The Gender Recognition Act 2004
Section 5.2 Medical Reports
Section 6.0 Supporting Patients
Section 6.1 Sources of Information and Support
Section 7.0 Glossary
List of Specialist Gender Identity Services for Children and Young People in England
Specialist Gender Identity Services for Adults in England
- West of England (The Laurels) - Lead Clinician: Dr John Dean.
Devon Partnership NHS Trust, The Laurels Gender and Sexual Medicine Clinic, 11-15 Dix’s Field, Exeter, EX1 1QA
- Leeds (Newsome Centre) - Lead Clinician: Padakkara Saju.
Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Leeds Gender Identity Service Outpatient’s Suite, 1st Floor, Newsome Centre, Seacroft Hospital, York Road, Leeds, LS14 6WB
- London (Charing Cross) - Lead Clinician: Dr James Barrett.
The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, 179 – 183 Fulham Palace Road, London W6 8QZ
- Northampton - Lead Clinician: Dr Byran Timmins.
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Danetre Hospital, London Road, Daventry, Northants NN11 4DY
- Nottingham - Lead Clinician: Dr Sarah Murjan.
Centre for Transgender Health, 3 Oxford Street, Nottingham NG1 5BH
- Sheffield - Interim Lead Clinician: Dr Grainne Coakley.
Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust, Porterbrook Clinic, 75 Osbourne Road, Nether Edge Hospital, Sheffield, S11 9BF
- Northern Region Gender Dysphoria Service
Northumberland, Tyne & Wear NHS Foundation Trust, Northern Region Gender Dysphoria Service, Benfield House, Walkergate Park Hospital, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, NE6 4QD
Gender Dysphoria Care Pathway Flowchart
Template Gender Identity Services Referral Form for Children and Young People
The Template Gender Identity Service Referral Form for Children and Young People is for use by clinicians.
This form originates from the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust Gender Identity Development Service (Tavistock Clinic).
Template Gender Identity Service Referral Form for Adults
The Template Gender Identity Service Referral Form for Adults is for use by clinicians.
This form originates from the West London Mental Health Trust Gender Identity Clinic (Charing Cross).